12826847

I live in an urban area of Fleet, Hants. All the surface

Customer Question

I live in an urban area of Fleet, Hants. All the surface water drainage from our property exits via a 30cm underground pipe which leaves our boundary and goes immediately under a pavement and public highway, and thence under one or more properties at the other side of the street. We suffered some flooding in August because there was some impediment downstream of our drainage pipe. Thames Water cleared the blockage but then advised me that as the pipe was not on their maps, it was not actually their responsibility and they would not be able to do so on another occasion. It is, they say, a private pipeline.
Our house was built in the 1920's and subsequent development has meant that we are now in the middle of a fully built-up area. The ideal solution would be either (i) that Highways acknowledge responsibility for the pipe, or (ii) that Thames Water now adopt responsibility for the pipe and thereby ensure consistency throughout this urban area.
Do I have any rights in this matter, and if so, with whom should I take the matter up?
I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.
Kind regards,
Mike XXX
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Nicola
Yes, I'm happy to wait as you suggest, and I would be glad if you would continue your search.
I look forward to hearing further.
Kind regards,
Mike Thomson
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.