31090051

I am the executor of my mother's estate. One of the beneficiaries

I am the executor of my mother's estate. One of the beneficiaries named in the will has claimed that a painting, the single most valuable item of property apart from my mother's flat, was promised to her.
There is no reference to this in the Will and I have found no papers to support this previously unheard assertion which was made shortly after my mother's death.
If her claim is true, i assume that she would have "first refusal" to purchase the painting at the current market value with the funds generated being paid into the Executor's account
Could you please confirm if this is correct?
David
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
If there is no evidence that the will was changed to reflect such a legacy to this beneficiary, then there is no legacy. Nor is there any obligation on the executors to offer first refusal to purchase the item.
The executors have an obligation to maximise the estate and could not accept less than market value for the item from any party.
Happy to discuss. I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.