75100385

I did hire a solicitor in 2013 housing issues

Customer Question

Hi, I did hire a solicitor in 2013 for some housing issues with my landlord. The solicitor in question increased his fees by 920 GBP amount that I rejected due to the fact that exchanges time frame with the landlord solicitor was not respected. As no responses were given to the other party solicitor, the Landlord / solicitor proposal was never acknowledged and therefore counter proposal taken as null from the Landlord.
Today, 02/12/2015 after more than two years of silence (last exchanges 07/11/2013)
I received an email from my solicitor stating that he will launch legal actions to retrieve those funds despite that he verbally accepted the fact I was not happy with his work and the time frame. I don't have this money, is there any way out ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did anyone witness this conversation please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my wife was present.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you refuse to pay all the Solicitor can do is issue a claim in the County court and if any dispute is less than £10,000 then it is a small claim and you wont rack up expensive lawyer fees.
If your wife was present then this supports your case. Given the Solicitor has waited this long this would seem to indicate that there was a verbal agreement. If it went to Court the Solicitor would have to prove there was no verbal agreement.
Given the time delay and your wife present I think the claim against you would fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me @ Tel. ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok