12826847

I borrowed a relatives computer to do a piece of work .

Customer Question

i borrowed a relatives computer to do a piece of work for her. She argued with me and took her laptop back but she somehow accessed my aol account from her IP address, opened my emails and transferred documents from my aol to hers ? one document in particular was confidential and highly sensitive. I told the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it because my information had somehow been on her computer ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if they are right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi jo, i am asking if they broke any law by logging into my own personal email account, search through my emails and sent emails from my account into her account, including one which was confidential, contained sensitive material, and was to do with a private matter that i did not want anyone to know. i contacted aol who told me to contact a solicitor it is a civil matter but she has access to data she was not given authority to see.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How did they get your password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont know
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is an argument that amounts to Computer Misuse but the reality is that the police will not be interested basically because they have limited resources which they are wasting upon false allegations of historical sexual abuse. It would be helpful if the public understood what 'targetting' really means in terms of public spending - targetting means taking resources away from other areas and using them to devote to the target. All very well in the right instance as there might be a legitimate reason. In the case of historical allegations of sexual abuse there is none. Mostly they are incredibly and quite often pure fantasy.
However, in legal theory, accessing a person's password ***** ***** hacking or computer misuse. It isn't taken particularly seriously in the UK though I'm afraid.
That said, it depends whether it was password ***** and you would have to show that you didn't give her permission. Computers in mulitiple use do tend to be difficulties.