31090051

I have written a few things on Facebook in the last few months

Customer Question

I have written a few things on Facebook in the last few months regarding ISIS and my disapproval of the government not to act quicker. My Facebook page has my company name as place of work on it. My problem is I am to attend a discipline hearing as someone has complained it being racist. I am not racist but am also against the Muslim hard liners in Middle East. Facebook themselves haven't taken them off as offensive either .
Can my work discipline me on my private life if not actually pointing at one person or persons. I myself am not a religious person so my believes that most war are based around religion or oil /gas etc. But they are my beliefs and I don't object to anyone who is a believer of any god(s). Can this cost me my job. Surely if someone doesn't like my post they can turn off.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
It is a question of fact whether your Facebook posts are racist or not. You don't say what has been said by you so I can't comment on that. However, if you are posting controversial or perceived controversial comments on Facebook you should remove your employer's name. By having your place of work on your Facebook profile you are associating you and your employer. If your employer doesn't want to be associated with your views you really have to take their name off your profile. That of course is a different point to the one that you make. There is authority to the effect that your employer can take action if your private life becomes public which of course it does the minute you open and start writing on a Facebook account. Whether that can cost you your job depends specifically what was posted. If it was racist then that can be a disciplinary matter.
I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.