Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I successfully sued a company in the UK Small Claims court.

Customer Question

I successfully sued a company in the UK Small Claims court. I claimed £2,000 plus interest and the judge awarded me £1,000 plus some costs but either ignored the interest or forgot to include it. The defendant did not pay the money until some months after it was due. I asked the court if I could claim for the interest but they said that the judgement could not be reopened but failed to tell me whether I can still claim for the interest in a separate claim. Can I claim for the interest in a separate claim? If so, from what date would it apply.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
You need to consider whether it is worthwhile claiming the interest. At the usual claimable rate of 8%, interest on the award of £1000 plus costs will be at approximately 21p per day and would be from the date that the judgment was made.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you rate my response positive if you found the information helpful so that the question can be closed.