75100385

I addressed letters to the Headteacher, Chair of Governors

Customer Question

I addressed letters to the Headteacher, Chair of Governors and three members of staff, at my son's school. Each contained a copy of a letter I had sent to the Chair of the Academy Trust Board under whose jurisdiction the school fell. I have been informed that the Chair and Headteacher decided not to pass my letters onto the three other members of staff. The letters were in separate envelopes, addressed individually and marked private and confidential. Isn't this action illegal?!
Cathy C
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No, it is not illegal. There is no law saying that once post is delivered it must be passed onto the recipient. It is only illegal to interfere with mail en route to the recipient ie in transit at the Post Office or with Royal Mail.
But its not illegal for the head not to pass letters on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry its not better news. You can complain to the Council (assuming its public funded by them) and they can investigate and take action.
Best of luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok, at least I shalln't make a fool of myself pursuing the matter, and I'll know in future to send such letters through the post.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed.
If I could ask you to rate before you go today - thanks!