12826847

I was on trial last 2.5 weeks to

Hi, I was on trial for the last 2.5 weeks for conspricacy to commit fraud. The jury went out on Tuesday at 12pm. By 3pm Wednesday the jury still couldn't come to a unanimous verdict. At this the time the judge said she would accept a majority verdict, but gave no mention to the jury about any further options I.e. A hung jury leading to no verdict. I suppose my question is should she have? I believe if the jury had have been told about this option they would have come back with the decision that they were split, but because they were never told about this option they came back with a majority verdict of 10-2 guilty.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. Absolutely not. A jury should never be told that they can be hung. Otherwise they will just give up and stop trying.
Generally speaking, a wise defence counsel will keep them seeking a unanimous verdict for as long as possible to avoid making a conviction easier.
Sorry if that is bad news but a jury should never be told they don't have to agree.