12826847

Our son recently (stupidly) typed a mildly offensive comment

Customer Question

Our son recently (stupidly) typed a mildly offensive comment on social media about the intellectual abilities of pupils at another school as part of a group conversation. The conversation then developed to express some very offensive sexist comments about some of the girls which was then, rightly, brought to the attention of teachers. My son was not involved in this part. He freely confessed to his comment, showed them his posting and wrote a letter of apology to the head of the other school which has been accepted. He has also been given a detention. In the meantime the girls have reported the sexist comments to the police.
The police now want to talk to all of the boys involved including my son, although they say they just want to give him a talking to to 'scare him' into future better behaviour. He has never done anything like this before. (he is 17)
We feel this is excessive and over reaching. Can we refuse permission?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, of course it is an over reaction but the reality is that if he doesn't agree they will just come and arrest him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It isn't really an option to refuse permission when dealing with a police investigation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Obviously I haven't seen the posts but it is quite unlikely they are going to want to prosecute although they may offer a caution which isn't much better than a conviction.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
People should bear in mind that malicious communication is quite a high test. It is not just saying something which caused offence to an overprotective parent.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
P.S - try to avoid young ladies who keep the police on speed dial. They are always trouble and actually responsible for most allegations of domestic abuse and rape in the UK. Do not be their victim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even though he had nothing to do with these comments and his postings show that he must still meet with the police?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Unless he is prepared to risk them arresting him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I feel sick to my stomach about this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.