How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70213
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son who is 22 years old lives with him mother and step-father.

Resolved Question:

My son who is 22 years old lives with him mother and step-father. Recently his stepfather has become very threatening and abusive including physical assault, which my son refuses to report the to police. Can you please clarify:
Can I report a crime on his behalf, even if he does not want to press charges?
What is his legal residential status? It is clear his father stepfather want him out of the house, as an adult does he have any rights to stay in his childhood home? He has been paying his mother a nominal rental fee but is currently unemployed and cannot afford this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but they will not prosecute without his evidence. There is no case to answer. All you can say is what he has said to you which is hearsay and not admissible.
If he has been paying rent then he is a lodger and is entitled to notice but he can still be evicted upon the receipt of notice.
That is the case even if he has stopped paying rent. The fact that he did at some point means that he is entitled to notice.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you