12826847

My son who is 22 years old lives with him mother and step-father.

My son who is 22 years old lives with him mother and step-father. Recently his stepfather has become very threatening and abusive including physical assault, which my son refuses to report the to police. Can you please clarify:
Can I report a crime on his behalf, even if he does not want to press charges?
What is his legal residential status? It is clear his father stepfather want him out of the house, as an adult does he have any rights to stay in his childhood home? He has been paying his mother a nominal rental fee but is currently unemployed and cannot afford this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but they will not prosecute without his evidence. There is no case to answer. All you can say is what he has said to you which is hearsay and not admissible.
If he has been paying rent then he is a lodger and is entitled to notice but he can still be evicted upon the receipt of notice.
That is the case even if he has stopped paying rent. The fact that he did at some point means that he is entitled to notice.
Sorry if that is bad news.