Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been summoned to family courts by the father of my baby.

I have been summoned to family courts by the father of my baby. He wants access and to force me to use the babies name (as on the birth cirtuficate )which is the fathers surname ,I have started using my surname for the baby. Can the courts force me to use his surname.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
You must use the child's surname as it is registered on the birth certificate, unless there has been a formal agreement between you and the father to change the name, or if there is a court order changing the child's name.
If you wish to continue to use your surname, you will need to make a cross-application for a Specific Issue Order for a change of name under a form C100 to the same court.
The Court will look at all the facts of the case and what is in the child's best interests when deciding whether to change a name.