75100385

We are hope fully coming to the end of what seems to be a long

We are hope fully coming to the end of what seems to be a long road to buying a house. We started back in June and the vendor has put every thing in our way to stop us buying it . We went for another visit last week to take measurements. While we were there with the estate agents we noticed that two slates had come of the roof and the house smelt musty and damp. We asked the estate agents to get the vendor to fix the roof and if they could switch the heating on low to stop it getting any damper. The estate agents has come back to us to day saying the vendor is going to fix the roof but the boiler does not work and will not get it fixed it's not up to him and if we don't fix it he will not sell the house to us. Where do we stand on this matter we stand to lose a lot of money if the vendor pulls out again. The vendor has already changed solicitors twice. thank you for any advice
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have contacts been exchanged please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its bad news I am afraid. Either party can pull out at any time before contracts are exchanged for no reason. This is because until contracts are exchanged then there is no formal contract. That means no party is bound and as such can pull out.
Only once contracts are exchanged is the deal binding. I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so if contracts have not been exchanged it's still the vendors responsibility to fix boiler or is now ours
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Or he may say no and you have a choice whether to proceed or offer a lower price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the vendor pulls out so he does not have to repair the boiler can we and we know this is the reason can we get any money back from him
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You should not have paid any money over, but yes.