Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

Hey, If I have signed an employment contract but then get

Customer Question

Hey, If I have signed an employment contract but then get another job offer that I have deided to take instead will the employment contract be enforcabale even if I havn't started working at the company yet? The contract has a six month non-compete in
it that states I cannot work for one of the compnaies competitors for a period of six months after termination. Thanks
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi there I will try and help. Is the contract you have signed for a fixed period of employment (i.e it has a start and finish date), or the usual rolling one (i.e you start and then ends whenever, at no fixed end date)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,The contract is for a fixed term of three years and there is a set start date. But the contract would be up for renegotation at the end of the term.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Can i ask what the job is? is if of a particularly sensitive or complex nature, or particularly senior?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
also have you already had exposure to any part of the business after signing the contract (i.e. seen the accounts, or inside a warehouse or stockroom etc)
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
also when is the employment supposed to start?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry i have to nip out for a bit but if you post I will get back to you on my return. This may be picked up by one of my colleges in the mean time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mate,The jobs is a derivatives trader. I have been inside there offices for an interview and have spent aboyt 20 minutes sat at a desk with two of the guys, but apart from that I havn't really been privvy to much private information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mu number is ***** 957 428