13262538

Does this statement on a will mean the following please. residue

Customer Question

does this statement on a will mean the following please.
residue of the estate passes equally between the children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren as were living at the date of death and attain 18 years.
does this mean only children at the time of death who are 18 get paid out
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I can confirm that you have interpreted the provision in the will correctly - thus only if each of the members of the class are living at the date of the death will they inherit a share of the residue of the estate.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi Just to add to my colleagues answer.In fact it means that all those who are alive at the date of death are eligible - but ONLY if they are over 18 - or subsequently reach their 18th birthday.So if there are 10 children, grandchildren and great grandchildren but three are under 18 then 7 of them get one tenth and the other three tenths are held and paid out to the others when they reach 18 - but if they do NOT reach that age their share is distributed between the others