75100385

I had some building work done and we paid the price as they

I had some building work done and we paid the price as they confirmed initially , then 5 months later they now wish a further 50k more than the initial agreed figure. We where never asked or advised that the bill would increase. Help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether the last payment was in full and final settlement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We never got a final bill just a piece of paper with that figure in so we then sent him that letter from our records we owe 3k , should we send that but can he come after us for any more ?, we where never advised
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We never asked or advised that the work would cost any more than what we initially agreed
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
was it a quote or estimate you initially had? Did he ever say before the extra work started it would be additional cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a written email breaking down the costs as a rough price , he knew the budget we had as we where very open and honest with him, we asked him to build into his cost a 5 k contingency just in case it was needed and more of a safety net really, at no stage did he tell us that the cost would change, which he admitted to us that he should have told us. We even emailed chasing the final account but heard nothing back .
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
OK, then you are not liable. The law says that they must agree any additional costs with you beforehand. They can't say well It is going to be X price and its Y without authorisation. So you dont need to pay unless the contract allows them to do this.
The worst they can do is take you to Court and then you can raise these arguments and indeed get a third party to give you quotes for the same work to see if you have been ripped off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex we never where advised of any additional costs at all and if we had we would hAve stopped the work then, we never signed a contract . Should we now send what we believe to be the outstanding figure as full and final settlement
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would do that.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you very much alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/