Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex-husband and I jointly purchased a timeshare back

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I jointly purchased a timeshare back in March 2000. As we are now divorced I am faced with an ever increasing debt to meet the annual maintenance charges. I no longer use the property as again cannot afford to fund the week. My ex-husband has been attempting to sell the property for quite a while now to no avail and the company at Loch Lomond refuse to take it back.
As I am now divorced and the original contract signed by both of us am I still viable legally bound by the contract given that my current income as a single woman is barely enough to support myself and in no way can continuously accommodate the the £450 annual payment that equates to my half of the maintenance fee.
Is it ethical, and moral, to expect me to now incur addittional debt every year that will undoubtably lead to financial hardship or worse since I have ben informed that this is an "in perpetuity" contract that basically means that I will have to pay until I pass away.
Kind Regards,
Karen.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Please confirm if there has been a financial settlement as part of the divorce proceedings. Also, please confirm if you have remarried since the divorce and if there are any children (including ages)
From a legal standpoint, you will both be liable for the timeshare as it is a joint purchase - the divorce does not break this joint ownership.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.