Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner is moving into my mortgaged home. How can I protect

My partner is moving into my mortgaged home. How can I protect my asset should the relationship breakdown? And how much should I expect to pay to draw up an agreement with a solicitor to protect my ownership
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If the property is in your sole name and you are not intending to marry, then your partner will have no rights in relation to making a claim against your home. However, in the interests of keeping everything clear a cohabitation agreement should be drawn up where it will outline your agreements - for example, if you wish for any contributions to the mortgage by your partner to be taken into and provide him/her to be compensated for in the future. You will also need to make it clear how your partner will vacate the property if the relationship broke-down. As he/she has no legal rights to the property it will be upon giving reasonable notice, but it is always best to clearly set this out in the agreement.
A cohabitation agreement would likely cost anywhere in the region of £500-1,500 and you can find local solicitors here to make enquiries with: http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I make a legally enforceable document myself for this? or use a downloaded template? if it is witnessed by independent people is this legal
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
You can find templates online, however to ensure that it is legally binding both of you should receive independent legal advice on the agreement before signing it - this will prevent your partner attempting to argue in the future that he/she did not understand what they were signing.