LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I said something about someone which I be lived to be the truth

I said something about someone which I be lived to be the truth but have since found out it was a lie. The person had his solicitor white to me asking for an apology in writing also to inform the people that I told that what I said was a lie. I have since written a retraction and an apology letter to this person. I have since been told by his solicitor that he has excepted the letter and will be taking the matter no further. I have since heard from other people that he has changed his mind and now wants to tack me to court. Please could you tell me if he can do this
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Did the solicitor's letter state that there would be no legal action if you apologised and retracted?
What was it you said about him, were you repeating a lie about him you had heard from someone else, and how many people did you tell? Is there anything about this person that makes his reputation particularly vulnerable (eg sh ein a high trust business?) to the misinformation you passed on about him?
Has the solicitor told you he accepted and would not proceed in writing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original letter from his solicitor states that to avoid the matter going to court I hade to right the letter and have it with the solicitor by 4th on the 18th November. Which I did. I then spoke to the solicitor a few days later and was told the person had excepted the retraction and the apology. When I asked the solicitor if that was the end of the matter I was told yes it was. I have for it to be confirmed in writing and I am awaiting said letter. The person in question is not in a high end job
OK it seems to me that it will be very difficult for this person to bring an action against you. A conditional threat of action was made, you complied with the condition and his solicitor confirmed verbally that the matter was over. You can therefore reasonably expect that he will not bring an action against you.
This situation does not absolutely bar him bringing an action but it makes it difficult for him to do so. Also what loss or harm has he suffered? He needs to be able to monetise any claim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologised in the letter for the any hurt or stress that I may have caused. And I also informed other people that I was wrong in what I said this was also stated in the letter. He has not lost any work or money by what I said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that the sum if money he would be looking to get if he took it to court is £200,000 plus court costs.
What did you say about him? In what way would his reputation have been damaged? How many people did you tell? These are the questions to be answered in assessing the level of damages in a defamation case.
He will have dificulty bringing a case when you have done what his solicitors required you to do to avoid itigation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice it has been a great help
Good. I would be grateful if would rate my answers so that I can be paid for them. It will not close the question and I will continue to answer follow up questions.