Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I was previously involved with the CSA in relation to my daughter

Customer Question

I was previously involved with the CSA in relation to my daughter who turned 20 on the 19/4/2015. The CSA wrote to me saying my case was closed and I did not need to make further payments. I have just received a letter, 7 months later saying I owe £2338. The letter states pay immediately or face legal action. I have spoken to them and they are telling me some of the alledged debt is for charges I never paid.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
The CSA would have informed you that your regular liability had ended, however the £2338 would be in relation to unpaid maintenance throughout the eligible term of payment. You will need to contact them to request a formal breakdown of what arrears they are alleging so that you can check these.
There is no time limit for when the CSA can collect arrears. However, when enforcing repayments they will do this over two years and can claim up to 40% of your salary in order to meet this - depending on your circumstances and other financial commitments.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.