Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

A tenant hasn't paid rent in two months, with the third month

A tenant hasn't paid rent in two months, with the third month approaching in five days. When I send him the section 21 to leave and the section 8 for rent arrears, do I also need to send him a summons for the four months of rent he'll owe when his notice to quit expires? If not how else would I go about legally obtaining his rent money?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Once the Section 21 notice expires, as long as it is an assured shorthold tenancy, you should submit an application here: https://www.gov.uk/possession-claim-online-recover-property for a possession order and unpaid rent. Upon conclusion of the case the court will award a money judgment in relation to the unpaid rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the tenant has left when the section 21 expires can I still use this link to reclaim unpaid rent?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If it will be just for a money claim it will be a separate application which can be pursued here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - is this a standard county court summons link or is this a different approach?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is the standard county court claim (for money only claims)