How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2725
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

A tenant hasn't paid rent in two months, with the third month

Resolved Question:

A tenant hasn't paid rent in two months, with the third month approaching in five days. When I send him the section 21 to leave and the section 8 for rent arrears, do I also need to send him a summons for the four months of rent he'll owe when his notice to quit expires? If not how else would I go about legally obtaining his rent money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Once the Section 21 notice expires, as long as it is an assured shorthold tenancy, you should submit an application here: for a possession order and unpaid rent. Upon conclusion of the case the court will award a money judgment in relation to the unpaid rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the tenant has left when the section 21 expires can I still use this link to reclaim unpaid rent?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If it will be just for a money claim it will be a separate application which can be pursued here:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - is this a standard county court summons link or is this a different approach?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is the standard county court claim (for money only claims)
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you