UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My son is dual nationality - English/German and passed

Hi, my son is dual nationality - English/German and passed his driving test in 2009 and was disqualified fro D/D in 2011. To regain his licence he has to do what is commonly known as an "Idiot's Test" which is going to cost him over £1000. However he has sent me a number of pages of script downloaded from the internet where it states that he could legally apply for a UK licence and use it to drive in Germany. There are individuals and companies charging upwards of £600 to do all the necessary "leg work" and obtain these licences without the recipients ever setting foot in UK.
I have spoken to the DVLA( today) and my son is not eligible unless a UK resident.
Please help
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony,
You have been advised correctly by DVLA. A GB driving licence may only be issued if your son is residing in the UK and has a UK address.
The agents who advise non UK residents to convert their EU licences without them residing in the UK are effectively telling such applicants to break the law, which I would strongly advise against as any insurance obtained with such a fraudulently obtained licence may also be invalid.
All the best