75100385

Need some at advise, I brought a garage last sep2014

Need some at advise,
I brought a garage last sep2014 for 250 pounds at auction which I paid in full,
it took until Feb 2015 for the seller to get the lease registered with land reg which in the mean time left me waiting around for months to see if it was going to complete or not, they eventually did ask me to complete at the end of Feb but I haven't bothered as I now made other arrangements and no longer need/want the garage.
About ten days ago I got severed a notice to complete, which says in the contract that I have to pay £250 +vat, I understand I will have to pay this but I want just offer a settlement so I can move on.? What would be fair as I ve already paid in full for the garage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It also says in the selling contract that the seller can claim for damages but the damages can never be more than the loss in a court, so I can't work out what's the loss if I ve paid the garage in full.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's ok, I can wait, no problem,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you getting back and I do understand it's a strange question to answer,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi,
i am happy to wait for answer,
thanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to wait, but would like answer soon,Thanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I want to know what to give as settlement ?? I ve got to give £250 plus vat for the final notice, but I can't see why I need to paid any more as I paid the full purchase price for the garage, what would a court say if the seller took it to a small claims court??
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand - what is the seller saying they have lost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damages for not completing on the garage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
damages can never be more than the lost, but I can't see no lost on this situation as I am not seeking any money back from the seller,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So the other person hasn't lost anything and wants more than £250 plus vat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What loss would there be?? They have the full purchase price and I don't want that money back,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. If the contract limits to £250 plus vat they can't claim more, as you say there is no loss. They have the purchase price it's been paid.
So subject to anything in the contract if it says you have to pay that £250 then that is it, limited to they. They can't claim any more whatsoever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to confirm, they only have ask for more by varbal and no set amount, I was just thinking giving them yhe 250 plus vat and a small amount just to get rid of the seller.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract says
If the buyer fails to comply with a notice to complete the seller may, without affecting any other remedy the seller has:
A, terminate the contract
B, claim the deposit and any interest in it,
C, forfeit the deposit and any interest on it.
D, resell the lot
E, claim damages from the buyer,
But as I said the buyer can't claim any damages as the full purchase price has been paid,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No indeed. Don't offer anything beyond £250 . This was intended for if you haven't paid etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to confirm, just pay the £250 plus vat for the sever of the notice to complete and that's it??
Or £250 plus vat for the notice and £250 just as a good will for not completing on the garage?? Which is the route for me to take??
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Notice money only.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10/10 thank you,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Please do remember to click the happy face though
Alex.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
😄