12826847

I was found guilty of conspiracy to commit fraud last week

I was found guilty of conspiracy to commit fraud last week and due to be sentenced on the 15th January. The amount involved was circa 400k. I ran an investment business in Dubai, which was said to be a way of my co accused using his elderly ex clients
(he was a retired financial advisor) to get them to invest into and I would invest frivolously. All money was lost in my investments. All 4 investors were in there in 80's/90's and have sinced passed. The fraud was said to be between jan 2010 - mar 2012. Could
you advise me of the the type of sentence I might receive. And the category of prison. Please ask if you wish to know more so you can give a more accurate response. Thank you. Paul.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry fro the delay.
you were convicted in the UK I presume?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Have you had advice from nobody so far? I'm afraid it is fairly bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, from my barrister. What's your initial view on the sentence I will be given?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This is obviously a very rough estimate as I haven't really had full vision of this case.
However, it clearly falls into category A. This is a sophisticated operation involving vulnerable people and you did take a leading role. That is not to mention a large number of victims or targeting of them because they were vulnerable.
You fall just into category two harm but at the top end because of the amount. The court could move it up to the highest category because of the impact on the victims who have lost their life's savings.
If so, then I'm afraid the starting point is 7 years and the range is 5 - 8.
If not, then the starting point is 5 years and the range is 3- 6.
Obviously you were convicted so there is no credit for pleading guilty.
Sorry if that is bad news.