12826847

There, I received a fixed penalty notice from the road

Hi There,
I received a fixed penalty notice from the road camera dept for speeding, 70 mph on a 60 mph limit, I was offered the fixed penalty of £100. As I am pension credit guarantee, I am unable to pay this within 28 days, it said on the notice it must be paid in full, I wrote back explaining I could not pay it in 28 days , and could I pay by instalments, I never got a reply,
today I got a further letter from the procurator fiscals office offering me the same fixed penalty on £100 to be paid in 28 days, it says I could be fined £1000, I just physicaly can not pay it in one go, the most I could pay if I put my heating off for 3 days £10 per week,
is there anything else I can do, or do I just have to go to court and let them decide what I can pay, as I said I am not denying the charge, it was 5am on a Sunday morning and the road was very quiet, and I just did not realize I was over the limit, I m not making an excuse, but that's what happened
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't really. They will not agree to instalments. Fixed penalties are fixed penalties and need to be paid within their time limit so that if people do not they have enough time to summons as there is a six month limit on the matter.
If you went to court the financial penalties are higher generally but you do get time to pay. Sometimes you can walk away with a comparable penalty to the fixed penalty but it is obviously high risk.