31090051

I received a letter from one uncle informing me the other had

Customer Question

I received a letter from one uncle informing me the other had died and he was the executor of the will. He wrote asking me for several forms of id stating that as a potential beneficiary I needed to provide proof of identity, residents etc. He asked for copies of my birth certificate, driving licence, a utility bill etc. I sent these items to him then began to be concerned. He's never been very trustworthy and if he's the will executor surely he must have seen the document and know if I'm a beneficiary, also he knows who I am as I'm his nephew. Is this normal procedure
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
If he is using a solicitor to wind up the estate then the solicitor has to obtain evidence of identification so as to comply with money laundering regulations. It may be that this is the reason and that there is nothing sinister about his request. However, that is the only reason he would seek these things. As you say there is no reason why he would have to identify you.
I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why would he ask for proof of identity of a "potential beneficiary" surely he knows whether I am a beneficiary or not as he must know as executor what is in the will.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I suspect the phrase "potential beneficiary" comes from a solicitor in a letter near to the beginning of the matter. I wouldn't read too much into that. In fact the phraseology tends to suggest that it has come from a lawyer about to open a file on the matter.