12826847

What is the best method to prove ownership of intelligent

Customer Question

What is the best method to prove ownership of intelligent property? How do I protect myself when working with investors. How do I ensure I get a cut of the company equity and profits/sales.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
What is the nature of the intellectual property?
AJ
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A new digital brand/platform for the healthcare community. I started working in a freelance capacity with a CEO friend & his investor 4 months ago when they asked me to investigate an idea (a sketch on paper) for a micro site on disease days. Ive since developing a whole new platform offering from concept to new brand identity and taken this to market, it's been extremely positive and we are getting uptake from a range of commercial organisations and partnerships and we are now targeting sponsors (paid promotions). I recently found out the investor has set up a company and made himself sole director, without any discussion with me or my CEO friend. He refuses to share any ownership with us and said he wants me to come on board as an employee. This does not sit well with me, as I am a digital specialist and consultant , so it's more than just being an employee. It's. My expertise, contacts and ingenuity that has got this far. My CEO friend feels the same, but the investor owns 75% of his existing company so he feels it's out if his control. I consider myself as a co founder of the proposition and therefore entitled to my share of royalties. Investor is now trying to trademark and patent this website offering in his name. Please advise. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ps. In addition, now that I am questioning this with the investor is trying to make a case that he was working on this concept a year before I arrived and has now pulled in CEO's from each of his 3 organisations to say they have been collaborating on this together, and that I was just an assistant. I've not been supplied details of any workings, or previous approaches to assist me in my endeavours and my intuition tells me this is bullshit. He's now trying to take the credit and using his senior ranks to empower his position. I did email myself the original conceptual approach and detailed platform offering before I sent it by email to the investor and my CEO friend. Please advise.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Who is in possession of the code for the website? Were you ever paid for the code or to do the work? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The website code? The domain name is ***** ***** name of my CEO friend's godaddy account. The website is currently being hosted on another friends personal hosting account. The investor is having a copy of the website made, by the developers who created the initial site design based on my brief to them. He has also asked the developers to host the site long term on their servers and has asked the CEO friend to point the domain to his new server.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have submitted monthly invoices to my CEO friend and been paid monthly payments, this has been based on a significantly reduced fee rate for my work.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll continue to wait for an answer, hopefully I get one soon. I am really looking for advice on how to protect myself, and intellectual property is a complex area. AJ was dealing with my enquiry, can he/she come back to the question or not?
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
AJ has opted out of this question to allow someone else to answer.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Who designed the website and uploaded it?