75100385

Ben My situation has no changed dramatically where the

Hi Ben My situation has no changed dramatically where the carpenter wants me to pay him £7000 for the work he did for my client. If I don’t pay, he will take me to court. A few weeks ago when my client asked him DIRECTLY to finish some of the work. I told
him that he shouldn't go to finish anything as she refused to pay him. He didn't take any notice of my wishes, and went to finish some of the work anyway. I feel there is some going on here between them ( romantic). They appear to be working together in some
way against me. Surely I’m not supposed to pay him when he goes against my wishes to do some more work. In my view he is in breach of contract from the verbal contract we have? He's ignoring me in general in everything I ask him and refuse to help me on this
case, but he still wants me to pay him! The one thing that concerns me is my contract with my client, could you please reassure me on this as to where I stand with both parties – my client and the carpenter This situation is now getting too convoluted and
I need clarification
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like you continue please. I Hope by tomorrow we can have an answer? It's a shame as my subscription is finishing on Tuesday so I have wasted many days waiting for an answer...
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see file with the information. Thank you for your help.Monica
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did you instruct the Tradesman or were they contracted by your customer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did instruct the Tradesman.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then you dont owe anything. You didnt instruct them and as such no contact exists. You owe no payment to the tradesman whatsoever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. But I did instruct the tradesmen so I'm liable? I designed the wardrobes for my client, the carpenter gave us quotes and then my client asked me instruct the carpenter.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I misread what you had said.
What is the object to you paying the tradesman you did instruct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring on me paying for the Wardrobes or me paying for the money the client owes the carpenter? Are you also saying that my client asked me to instruct the builder, therefor is not my duty to pay the money owes to the carpenter?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Well I asked you who instructed the carpenter. In your question you say the client instructed directly for extra work but you said above you did.
I am confused? Who instructed him to do what and what sums are being claimed for which work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She instructed him for the extra work and I instructed him for the wardrobes as I mentioned before. The sums being claimed is for all the work. The extra work and the wardrobes.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You are not liable for the EXTRA work. You are only liable for the works which you directly instructed. The carpenter can't claim from you for anything beyond what you asked for - the client is liable for extra work direct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I understand. But some of the work he went to finish without my permission was the work I instructed him to do. My direct question to you is, how can I be totally responsible.
The carpenter;
- Didn't give me the invoice before he went away for 4 weeks. That was a very important moment
- He should have finished the work before going away
- He went to finish the job that my client instructed him to do and not me. He answered to her and not me
- some of the work has not been done properlyIn my view he's in breach of contract from the verbal contract we have? What do you think? As I mentioned before, also he's ignoring me in general in everything I ask him and refused to help me on this case, but he still wants me to pay him!!!I just need to know where I do stand on this. Is he in breach of contract? Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can't. You can ONLY be liable for the work you asked him to do. Nothing more.
He IS in breach of contract yes.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mi final question. By returning to the project against my explicit instructions to finish the work I instructed him to do from day one, I understand that this makes the Carpenter in Breach of Contract (verbal)
Does this breach of contract then extend to the WHOLE of the project that I instructed him to do from day one?
To clarify, is he totally in Breach of Contract, or partially.Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Partial breach of contract by ignoring your express instructions,
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience