12826847

I have a Chevrolet Captival registered in September 2012. Recently

I have a Chevrolet Captival registered in September 2012. Recently the number 1 injector stuck open. The engine has done about 44,000 miles. Chevrolet do not want to contribute towards the repair cost.
Should this have happened at about 44,000 miles?
What advise can you give me, please?
Eric
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you buy it new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 6 months old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing extra at moment, Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you buy from a dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and a Chevrolet dealer repaired it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I presume you are asking the selling dealer to doeal with this not the repairing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same dealer sold it and repaired it. They said I had to contact Chevrolet to ask for a contribution towards the cost of the repair that is £600.14. Chevrolet said because it is out side warrantee they would not contribute. The full story is that on Monday 23 November 2015 my Chevrolet Captiva broke down near J15 on the M6 which the RAC recovered for me.
The number 1 injector had stuck open filling the cylinder with fuel. The mileage is 44,391. The car was registered on 27/09/2012 and the warrantee ran out on 27/09/2015.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It may be out of warranty but you still have the protection of the Sale of Good Act.
When did you buy please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
March 2013
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When was the repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 December 2015
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.It is all very well for them to say the warranty has run out and indeed it may. That doesn't mean they can ignore your statutory rights.The original sale date was some 18 months ago now and, in fairness, it would be difficult to show that a fault existed at the time of sale. However, it is possible to put this case on that basis. This was an expensive vehicle that was only 6 months old at the time of sale and has developed a fairly substantial fault. That can indeed be to do with the manner of driving etc and it would be for you to show that it was their fault which is hard. That said, for £600 if you were to sue I would imagine they would just settle without arguing as it is not worth the manpower.You can also always complain to trading standards.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks JoCan any one say that 44,000 is not long for an injector to last, please?Regards, Eric
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really.
It depends on variables such as manner of driving.
You do have the basis of an argument but it is quite unlikely there would be a blanket assertion that is too low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do you suggest I go from here, please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends if you are willing to sue.
I think I would send them a letter before action threatening to sue if they do not pay as you can always resile from that.
It might work. Might not.
If it doesn't then you will have to decide whether you are prepared to sue. It isn't exoensive to do that as it is a small claims court sum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo
I'll start with a letter. If no joy, I'll consider the Small Claims Court.
Where do I go for The Small Claims Court, please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
It is very easy to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice and help Jo. I'll get on to it ASAP next week
Eric
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo
Eric
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Np problem.Final question - Is there a template for a letter any where that I could use?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really but it is really simple.
Just send them a letter saying that you bought this car on X date, it was repaired on Y date and is now exhibiting these problems.
This has cost you X amount for which you hold them responsible. If they do not pay within 7 days of the date of the letter you will seek to recover at the small claims court plus costs and interest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanksWill doHave a relaxing W/E
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Please rate my answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 star answers out of 5
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.