75100385

I bought a second hand car from a very well known premium car

I bought a second hand car from a very well known premium car retailer just over 3 months ago. I have a 1year warranty on the car but I have had to take the car back in for several repairs on about 6 occasions now, which were covered on the warranty. I'm self employed so it's costing me everytime I have to take the car back in and I've lost confidence in the car totally. 6 occasions in 3 months seems excessive. Some of the features of the car such as sat Nav are working intermittently and the car is back at the garage right now. Those features I rely heavily on for my work. Can I get my money back for the car? It was purchased beginning Sept 15.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is it the same fault every time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has been a range of things however there is a peristant problem with the sat Nav screen. It went in for repair on one occasion but came back with a missing Bluetooth connection for the phone. Sat Nav problem seemingly fixed though.It then had a problem with handbrake which they couldn't find fault with but the car came back with the sat Nav screen not working again . It's currently at the garage again for the sat Nav screen.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How old is it, how many miles and how much did you pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is coming up to 3 years old registered Jan 23. It had 36000 miles on it when I bought and it's now showing about 39000 I think. I paid £16500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jan 13 that should say
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
But its just the sat nav that is an issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other problems I've had seem to be fixed but the sat Nav screen continues to be a problem. It went in for the handbrake recently and they said they couldn't find fault with it. I would disagree with that. The handbrake is electronic and it sometimes doesn't release first time. Both myself and my husband have found the handbrake to be a problem.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Is the car on finance at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I traded in my old car and paid rest in cash
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Its bad news I am afraid you have far more limited rights for used goods than you do new ones. In any event a car is even harder because you have to show its not fit for the purpose it was designed for. Therefore if it had been the case you couldnt drive it, because of some problem with the engine you would be more likely to be able to reclaim money paid.
But given it appears to be the sat nav, it would be far harder is this is ancillary rather than critical. However thats not to say you cant sue for breach of contract and get some compensation, but I dont think you can reject the car.
What makes it worse is that you have had a repair, if you had not had a repair then your right to reject would be stronger, but once you have a repair, you lose the right to reject.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I appreciate your honesty. I just needed to know for my own knowledge whether I would have a case for getting my money back. At least I know where I stand. Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its not better news. Good luck.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/