13262538

My mother (aged 93)is currently in a residential care home

Customer Question

My mother (aged 93)is currently in a residential care home which is funded using her savings(from the sale of her home) and her pensions. At the present fees she has enough money for approx. 2 years - can you tell me how we go about making arrangements when the money runs out, can she stay in the same home where she is settled or are her options limited?
Many Thanks,
Regards, ***** *****
What is the extent of her savings and income at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Savings approx. £60K income from pensions etc. £15K - Annual care home costs £40K.
Are you accessing all possible allowances and benefits?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
State pension and Attendance allowance - is there anything else?
In fairness it is likely that there are no others - but you can check here
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/benefits-calculator/
Once your mother's savings fall below £28,000 you need to contact Social Services again and ask them to complete an assessment.
This is because once they drop to £23,250 your mother is entitled to help with her care home fees and once they reach and once they drop below £14,250 then they are paid fully.
It is likely that she will be allowed to remain in the same home although you MIGHT be responsible for any "excess" above the set rates
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the info - How do I gain access to the "set-rates" and how do I compare these to the rates charged by the current care home once funds drop below £14,250 and how much "help" will be given at the £23,250 threshold. Also does my mother keep her Pensions 1-private (my fathers1/2 pension as he is deceased) and her state pension when the help is given and does she keep receiving them if they are paying all fees.
Many Thanks,
Regards, ***** *****
You will have to ask your local authority what their guide rate is - it may be on their website but could take some findingHer income will always be used towards her fees - subject to some personal allowance money.