13262538

Morning. A man contacted me on fb saying he was trying to trace

Customer Question

Morning. A man contacted me on fb saying he was trying to trace a person of my name and if I could provide certain info. I knew it was me as he asked about my son. When he started to ask more questions I said I cannot give out more info as I did not know him and he asked me to contact a solicitor. I did this and was told my mother had died and the man who had contacted me was the solicitors client, a family friend and executor of the will. I was in total shock. The solicitor did not ask for verification of who I was or for my contact details. I tried to contact the first man back but he is not responding. It seems my mother may have died over 6 months ago as this is the first time he tried to contact me apparently. What dies this mean. Does this mean her will has already been read and sorted as surely if she had left me anything the solicitor would of asked for id or contact details from me
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you.
There s in fact no formal "reading of the Will" except in drama series.
You can find out if Probate has been obtained by checking here
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
and if it has then you can obtain a copy of the Will as well as it will have become a public document
In any event you can and should write to the solicitor asking for confirmation of why you were contacted and what the position is with regard to the Will
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I checked on this site and I don't see my mother. The man whose tried to contact me apparently as on the date of fb message did so back in July so maybe the matter has not been dealt with yet. Please can you clarify probate for me. Also I don't want to be pushy and appear as though I am seeking anything from my mothers will as we did not have a relationship and I was raised by my father. Would it be fair to assume this is the case as the sun luxuries who told me the news did not ask for contact details or anything , so surely if there was anything left to me he would of asked for my contact
It is hard to understand why he was contacting you unless it was simply to inform you of her death.If probate has not been applied for then it may be that the assets were low enough that an official applictaion for Probate - to "prove" the validity of the Will - was not madeSince they made the first approach a polite letter asking for more details would not be unreasonable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you I did this by way of e mail this morning so am just waiting for a reply
I hope all goes well