Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a resident of Japan and so is my former client (corporation).

I am a resident of Japan and so is my former client (corporation). The client is accusing me of corporate embezzlement between some corporate bank accounts of which I had sole access to. I have a defense lawyer here in Japan who is defending me but does not know much about international banking. My question is this - if the Japanese authorities requests information to Barclays Bank regarding these accounts, is Barclay's required by law to provide them with this information directly to the Japanese authorities without my permission?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If they are demanding information from Barclays about an account in England, they would need a court order to get this information. The Japanese authorities cannot just circumvent the sovereignty of English accounts. The only other way they could get the information is if they have any form of co operation with the English Police. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear AJ,
Thanks for the reply. Would we be able to find out whether or not there is some form of cooperation between the Japanese and English police? If answering this question will cost me please let me know how to make additional requests.
I look forward to your reply.
Regards,
Ike