12826847

My brother is single and lived in my parent's house all of

Customer Question

My brother is single and lived in my parent’s house all of his life – he is 53 now. While he was working he did not pay for his keep or contribute to the upkeep of the property at all. He saved his salary and has about £50,000. After dad died in 2011 mum downsized to another property and brother moved with her – he is not named on the deeds. He stopped working 4 years ago and during this time rather than use his savings he used my widowed mother’s pension to support himself. He would take her bank card to the supermarket- draw out cash for supplies and spend it. Both parents have now passed away and my brother does not want to leave the property or to sell it even though both parent’s wills stated that the estate should be divided evenly between myself, my sister and my brother.
I visited the solicitor who kept the wills and she has said that as my brother has lived with parents all of his life that he is entitled to stay in the house for as long as he wants to and I cannot insist that it be sold.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much is the house worth and what other assets are there for division?
How much does a cheaper one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?