13262538

My Wife and I are separating and have split all our savings

My Wife and I are separating and have split all our savings and investments 50/50, we have no dependants, there are no debts and no mortgage on our house. we have decided to pool our pensions and split the total 50/50. my wife is choosing to look for a property in Kent where as I have opted for Suffolk/Norfolk, as the area i have chosen is cheaper than Kent my believes that as she will have less money left after her purchase That i should let her have a larger split of the house sale proceeds, surely as this is her choice to live in kent has she got any right to expect a larger share.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been married for 41 years, both of our children are married and self supporting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mobile number ***********
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just give me an overview of the capital and income you will each have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pension is approx 1600 p/m my wifes is 600p/m we have pooled them and split 50/50
and we both have approx £50.000 in savings each the house sale will hopefully realise approx $615000.00 of which we had intended to split 50/50 so that we each ended up with exactly the same amount .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that should be Pounds not dollars
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to confirm - there is still sufficient capital for your wife to house herself in Kent - she will just have less left over that you will - is that the totality of her argument?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes , and she believes that she should have a larger cut from the sale if the house. I understand that there are certain procedures to go through with a separation such as a ' separation agreement ' and an agreement regarding the pensions , can she stop the sale of the house in any way even if she doesn't want to separate but I do ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How far has the sale reached?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still on market awaiting sale
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The fact that you can get "more house to the pound" because you chose to leave Kent does not mean that your wife can have a larger share of the assets provided she has enough to buy a property, so there is no reason to offer more in terms of settlement.
However I am afraid that at this stage if your wife does not co-operate with the sale it cannot go ahead until there is a Court Order within Divorce proceedings.
It could be sensible to try and discuss matters with her in future using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
so that there is a structure to the discussions
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details