12826847

A property in London. Unable to get any co-operation from

Customer Question

A property in London. Unable to get any co-operation from Landlady. It is claimed by the agent who handled the lease that she is dealing with the renting herself, not through the letting agent. Various problems inc. cooker that does not work. How can we get this woman to deal with problems?
G. XXXXX
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
is this an AST?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, what is an AST?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Assured shorthold tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, my age group are not that computer literate. My son has a 12 month let while he does a degree, so I guess it is an AST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is-***** *****,mother!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What are the issues of disrepair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, we had house guests over the W/E
Problems in the apartment
Broken front door lock. When entering the flat the key broke in the lock. Cost £200 call out repair. Landlady claims son broke the lock. The repair man condemned the lock. Excessive damp /mold in drawers (furnished flat)
Atop of cooker hob is not working--gas cooker. Although small things the general attitude of landlady causes my son to be nervous about any future problems. How does he get the landlady to take notice N.B. The 12 mths rent was paid up front
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The lock is obviously disputed and the central issue will be who is to blame.
The better point is damp. Was it in that condition when he took the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm lost as to where we are up to.
Ref cooker, should my son write to landlady?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Forget the cooker for the moment.
Was the damp there when he took the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The damp must have been there already. He is more concerned over her general attitude to complaints---she will not talk to him! Is there some GENERAL advice you can give. I do think the cooker is a problem; it was given the pre-let safety check. If the next step on serious probs. is a legal letter then maybe he should take that way. He is concerned he may fall out with her
G.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really.
Any advice would depend on the nature of the fault.
She may well have an attitude that is not helpful but that isn't unlawful per se.
The damp might interest Environmental Health. It depends how bad it is and what is the cause.
The cooker is something that was there when he rented and so should be in good order. The fact it is not will not interest EH though. He can always purchase another and then sue her for the cost or withhold from rent but he needs to give her written notice of that. In principle that is actionable though.
The door lock is different. To claim for that he will have to prove that it was faulty rather than that it was an accident on his part. He might be able to do that but it does need to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/