75100385

My son who suffers from coeliac disease was contaminated today

Customer Question

my son who suffers from coeliac disease was contaminated today at a resteraunt during a school outing, I personally visited the hotel 2 days prior to the visit to discuss his dietary needs and stress the importance on preventing cross contamination due to the severity of his sensitivity. Having met with the school principal, hotel owner and duty manager the response to the issue was far from satisfactory. Do I have any legal rights for taking action
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
What loss has been suffered please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No loss as such, child will be ill for up to 6 weeks now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me on ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I will call shortly.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Are you still ok to talk tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning, I am in the office this morning to 12.30. my office landline is ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I will call later today then!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friday 4th Dec- Discussion between my wife and school principle. Hotel had advised school that they could provide Devon with a Gluten Free meal which could include chips and garlic fries.
Wednesday 9th Dec- I visited the hotel and spoke with the duty manager to discuss in person his dietary needs and to stress the importance of preventing cross contamination. I made it abundantly clear that Devon was at the extreme end of the Coeliac Spectrum. It was at this stage that we were advised the chips and garlic fries would be contaminated.
Friday 11th Dec- Devon received his Gluten Free main course which we believe on talking with management was prepared using Gluten free produce and prepared separately to prevent cross contamination. Devon was then given a desert consisting of ice cream, jelly and a wafer. He instantly asked the waiter “ is this Gluten Free”, the waiter in turn asked the duty manager and the response was YES it is Gluten Free. No one consulted the Allergens file.
Devon finished his desert as any 8 year old would and very soon felt the onset of stomach pains, the first indication of contamination. He told his older sister Cerys that he was ill and was sure he had eaten Gluten. Cerys told a teacher who in turn spoke with the principle, Appallingly the first response to a child in physical pain and the emotional torture of knowing that this is how he will feel for up to 6 weeks was “why did you eat all of your desert if you knew it would make you sick”.
The principle then instructed a teaching assistant to contact my wife, who in turn contacted myself. I left work and rushed to the hotel to check him and to find out how this was allowed to happen. The Duty manager could not have been any apologetic and held her hands up to failing Devon, however the owners words were “we are normally quite good at this, obviously this has slipped through the net, what more can I say”
I firmly believe after a 15min discussion that there is not an adequate safe working practise in place to protect people with allergens in this establishment in particular Coeliac’s. I was advised had it been a peanut allergy or the like additional safe guards would have been put in place, I find this disgraceful. This hotel and its management do not fully understand the illness, and the impact it has on sufferers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you free to talk now?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok