LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I signed a contract concerning my daughter and confirmed

I signed a contract concerning my daughter and confirmed that I had parental responsibility but I later discovered that I do not have parental responsibility. Is the contract valid.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience I will try to answer this for you. Can you tell me some more about the contract please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it was for a private school fees. My daughter has now left the scas I couldn't afford the fees. We are in dispute because i didne't give a full-terms notice and they want a full terms fees (after see left) and I'm in breach of the contract.
I think that the contract may well be enforceable even though you made this unwitting misrepresentation. You might be able to get the benefit if the school had got it wrong but you are not entitled to rely on your own midpreresentation to avoid contractual responsibilities.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is helpful and good to know. At the time my daughter's mother was unaware of the application but when she found out she did not oppose it or agree with it, she went along with it without being involved. Does it make any difference that mother did not sign anything and I did not provide her details on the forms, I just left it blank. Should they have obtained mother's consent.
I don't think that will make any difference to whether you are bound by the contract you yourself signed.