75100385

My car broke down after cam belt failure 6 months ago and

my car broke down after cam belt failure 6 months ago and this weekend after only 6000 miles the cambelt has broken again . should this 2nd repair be covered by a warranty due to the short time and low mileage . i believe that cam belts usually have a limited warranty either with mileage or a time aspect but i need to be sure before i quote legalities to the garage that did the repair .regards ian xxxx
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you checked Under warranty? Is your car still covered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the warranty i refer to is that normally given with a cambelt due to the hight cost of repair if it fails . the normal car warranty has long since expired . from your reply you do not understand my question so why should i pay you extra for what should be a relatively simple answer. normally a car has to have its cambelt changed between 50k and 60k miles to avoid wear and tear on the belts but this one has broken at 6000 miles after changing and the potential cost of repair is £3000 ,which is why i have asked the question as to whether i am right to insist the garage carry out the repair but not at my cost.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the reason why it failed? Was it because it was defective or installed poorly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not the garage so it is impossible to say but it would appear to be one or the other or both , which is why i need to uhderstand the warranty side of the cam belt . when i contacted the previous garage after the last failure they told me that the warranty was for 2 years but as the car had been used since then for 2.5 years it was therefore out of warranty
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok then you are not responsible. Goods are not fit for purpose, as described or of suitable quality. They should have lasted longer than 6000 miles so no, you should not have to pay for another repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perhaps a few words as to what i should write to the garage please
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You should write and set out their position. Say they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act (it may also be covered by the consumer rights act 2015 also).
Set out what you want them to do and why. Then say if they wont you will take it to Court.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you this should help .regards ***** *****