Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Law, can you please tell me. I have built an extension

Hello Law, can you please tell me. I have built an extension for a customer and he will not pay the invoice . He is happy with the work apart from a door which has swelled .
I hold the keys to the property and he wants them back.
And I hold on to them?
Mr Paul Emmett
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
No, you cannot withhold the keys to his property. I would suggest that you formally write to them and threaten that you will take the matter to court if it is not paid within a certain date.
You can proceed with a money claim here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online - However, the court will need to see that you attempted to settle the matter before issuing a claim, therefore you will need to formally provide them with a letter before action outlining the outstanding payments.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.