Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I recently sent a payment in error to the wrong bank (Sort

I recently sent a payment in error to the wrong bank (Sort code was typed in incorrectly by me). My bank have informed me that the unintended recipient of my funds (From another bank) has not given them permission to reclaim the funds.
My bank has advised the following to me; Consult Citizens advice bureau or consult independent legal advice.
Does the unintended recipient have any right to keep the money? And what do I need to do next to claim my money back?
Many Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Unfortunately, if the recipient is refusing to return the money, the bank's hands are tied. Your only other option is to pursue the matter to court. You are able to do this online here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online
The bank (either your bank or the recipient's bank) should be able to provide you contact details for the recipient so you can include them in the claim to be served.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.