UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My girlfriend and I both live and work full time in London

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I both live and work full time in London UK and have done so for over a year.
She is Canadian and has a 2 year youth visa. She is 15 months into that visa.
I while also from Canada, have an Irish passport, so I have just been here using that.
We have been together for 5 years, and lived together for the last 4 years. We have lived together in London for 15 months of those last 4 years, before that living together in Canada
We have built great careers here and are trying to buy a flat in London. In order to do this, and obtain a mortgage, My girlfriend needs some sort of residence card, registration status or right to live in the UK for more then the next 3 years. Under advice We have obtained the: "Application for a registration certificate or residence card as the extended family member of a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national"
My questions are around: do we have any chance of my girlfriend obtaining some sort of residency status, is this the right application to apply for, and is it possible to get answers around questions specific to the application its self.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the right application to make. You have been advised correctly.
Your girlfriend needs to prove that she is in a durable relationship with you and that you have been both living as a couple together for at least 2 years at the same address.
I suggest that you read this internal guidance very carefully, the relevant sections are under durable relationships:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/421243/Extended_Family_Members_v2_0.pdf
If the application is successful, your girlfriend will get a 5 years Residence Card and she may apply for a permanent residence card once her 5 years card expires.
Hope this helps