Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I allowed my brother and his girlfriend to stay in two bed

I allowed my brother and his girlfriend to stay in two bed house in thamesmead. I didnt give any tenancy agreement to them. The arrangement was that they pay £600.00 a month and I would stay in one of the bedrooms if I wanted. They haven't kept up with rent payment. I want to change the locks of the house. Would I be breaking the law ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Unfortunately, even without a written tenancy agreement they can rely on the verbal contract as a tenancy agreement. In this case you would need to serve them with a Section 21 and a Section 8 notice (if the rent is over 2 months outstanding) - giving them Notice Seeking Possession and Possession Notice respectively. If they have not left when the notice period expires you will need to pursue an application to court to evict them and obtain the outstanding rent.
You cannot change the locks as this is considered illegal eviction and they will be able to claim against you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.