12826847

My sister, her husband and their son were staying with

Customer Question

Hello, my sister, her husband and their son were staying with me. They have moved out but left their belongings. My sister has made unannounced visits to my home to get their belongings. These visits are late at night and distressing. I have asked my sister to collect all belongings in one visit but she has refused and merely wants to collect items when she requires them. She refuses to provide her new address and does not answer my phone calls. I would like her to kindly collect her belongings. What can I do to achieve this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much do they have there? Is it possible to be collected in one visit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. They have numerous items located in the main house, garden and outbuilding.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
So it can't be done in one visit?
Or can it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All items arrived in one visit so the items can be collected in one visit.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Ultimately you can't force her to collect.
However, you can follow these steps. If you don't have an address for her then you will have to do this by phone but you can text so you can prove what was said. Send her one message giving her 14 days to collect. Tell her any date by appointment is acceptable. Make clear that after that you will dispose of her goods.
Then if she does not collect within that time or make some attempt to renegotiate a date you have an argument that she has abandoned anything that has been left and you are entitled to dispose of it.
That said, make sure you do give her a reasonable period of time and that you do keep a record of the notice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is the process that you have described covered by some law? As I have said, she turns up unannounced demanding items. I have said you cannot simply rock up at anytime. Does she have a right to collect items in this piecemeal fashion?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Only the law of abandonment.
You can't force her to collect in one sitting although you can ask her to do it during reasonable hours