13262538

My mother's will was settled family sometime ago, she

Customer Question

My mother's will was settled for the family sometime ago, she died 18 months ago, but we have still not received any indication of the charges and the amount outstanding, kept back by the solicitor. My sister was executor, but she had argued with myself and another sister and I do not know whether she has received this information from the solicitor, but I have not despite ringing the solicitors on numerous occasions. She says her client is my sister, and I have only said that I would like to see the final accounting and that we, my other sister and I, want a copy. She said she was busy and it would take time - that was over 4 months ago. Can we legally insist on seeing this accounting, since we know that the sister who was executor had £10,000 and we want to know if this was included in the settlement we got before the Will was actually finally sorted out?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your question My name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHas probate been obtained and did you receive part of the Residue of the estate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we all have a share, but I only know the amount my sister and I got. The solicitor held some back in case of tax to pay and she had to settle her account as well. Probate was granted of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you need more details?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - meant were you one of the Residual beneficiaries - by which I mean did you and your sisters get a share of everything that was left after specific gifts were given - or did you receive a set sum decided by your mother?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were Residual beneficiaries - equally between the 3 of us after all bills and bequests
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
For clarity - you did NOT receive a copy of the Estate Accounts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have only received the first letter from the solicitor explaining that so much was being held back and then enclosing a cheque for the amount that was our share - both the same share to each of us.Can you tell me whether I can get a copy of probate and, if so, where can I obtain it - not the solicitor I hope!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You can obtain a copy of the Grant of probate here
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
As a Residuary beneficiary you are entitled to a copy of the Estate Accounts.
I suggest that you write to the solicitors and point out that you are entitled to a copy and ask for them
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - If I have any problem can I come back in the immediate future.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Of course you can - I will always answer follow up questions when I see them!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want to let you know that I rang the solicitors and another lady has taken over my mother's estate details; she was very pleasant and said she had quite a backlog but would get them out as soon as she could. Much better attitude, so much easier to deal with. She will also send me a copy of the probate - success.
Thank you for your help, you have been most kind even if I didn't need it in the end, we didn't know that so thank you very much.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
i am so glad that the news is better
A word of warning - it can take time as Probate is one of those areas of law where there are always more letters involved than anyone thinks!