29905560

Apparently i won some money in a promotion in the UK Tesco

Customer Question

Apparently i won some money in a promotion in the UK Tesco Bank handled prize money all by emails a wire transfer was stated to arrange the transfer of funds to my New Zealand Bank account the I was asked to pay a transfer fee of $1000.00NZD. Transfer
fee to be paid into a Western union account. Paid fee and told to wait four days I was sent a confirmation slip of transfer looked legit. Fourth day email from UK Inland Revenue to pay tax on funds or funds would be confiscated the sum to pay is $16,000.00
the options to pay this sum 1.lump sum 2. 10 instalments until paid in full,my question is this normal practice in the UK the tax is to be paid into a western union account. I am not going to pay it for a lot of reasons the prize money is 850,000.00 Pounds.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello what is your query about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it legal
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
This is 100% a scam. Such types of scams, also known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.
The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:
• You are contacted, usually out of the blue, and informed you have won a prize. However, you cannot win unless you have consciously bought a ticket or entered it in some way - no one just gives money away like that. Tesco certainly doesn't do this
• Before the prize materializes, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as a clearance fee, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. In reality, a genuine winner would never have to pay anything in advance to get their winnings.
• Another clue is the dubious methods by which you are expected to pay that money. Usually it is through Western Union, Moneygram, or by buying pre-paid cards or vouchers. All methods are commonly used by fraudsters as it is very easy to avoid being traced that way.
DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.
You will unfortunately not get back any of the money you have already sent but at least you will reduce any future losses by stopping here.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.