Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My husband and I came over to the UK 3 and half years ago.

Customer Question

My husband and I came over to the UK 3 and half years ago. He came on an ancestoral Visa and I came on a spousal visa. Because his mother was born in the UK he has applied for British citizenship, and his application has been accepted. When can I apply for mine. Do I have to wait another 3 years or can I apply now. Would it be easier for me to go through my original spousal ancestoral Visa or apply as a spouse of a British citizen.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The shortest and quickest way to Uk citizenship is after five years lawful and continuous residence in the UK. If you were to apply as a spouse of a British citizen, you will have to wait for two years after he got his citizenship before you can apply. Normally, the wait for a spouse is three years after marriage. However, here, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and thereby "settlement" after five years. Then a year later you can become a citizen.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives none of the money you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.