13262538

Just Answer Team, I have two children with my ex-partner

Hi Just Answer Team,
I have two children with my ex-partner both under 16. The mother is a french national.
Recently she has been asking me to sign french documents so she can apply for or renew (not sure which) their french passports.
As we have not separated amicably, I have been cautious about signing anything french. I also wondered why she can't get them British passports as they were born in the UK
Now I have received a bunch of documents from a Court in Milton Keynes. It appears she is applying for a court order.
I just want to know am I by law required to sign the French documents or any documents for that matter
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you today.
Please may I ask:
- how old are your children?
- what order has been applied for?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are 8 an 13 years old. Give me 1 minute and I will get the paperwork regarding the exact order
Ok :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Application under section 8 of the children Act 1989 for a child arrangements, prohibited steps specific issue order or to vary discharge or ask permission to make a section 8 order
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, is that ok or do you need more information?
Are there any current court orders?
Is the PSO to prevent you taking the children from the Jurisdiction?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are no other orders. No my ex partner wrote on the order " An order about obtaining French Passports from French Embassy as the respondent refuses to complete forms"I don't understand why my signature is needed, ( no one has explained this to me) also why she doesn't just apply for UK passports
Thank you for clarifying this form.
It is correct that the mother should make an application to the court for approval to take the children abroad if you don't agree.
I, like you, am somewhat confused as to why the mother is asking for French passports if the children are British citizens. The mother is going to have to explain her position to the court.
It doesn't appear as though the mother is seeking to relocate with the children - the mother would have to ask the courts permission - if you didn't agree. This is not detailed in the orders that she is seeking.
You should also ask the court for a prohibited steps order - to prevent the mother taking the children abroad - if you think that she is not going to return from France with the children.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am required by law to sign the french documents?
Not under English law
In the UK either parent with PR can apply for a passport for the children - unless an objection is lodged at the passport office by one parent beforehand
I do not know the position in respect of the French passport - the mother is going to have to make a few things clear at court:
- why she is seeking a French passport and not British ones
- why she considers that a signature is required
If you are unsure - do not sign until this is clarified and ask for a PSO if you are concerned about the mothers intentions
Does that clarify?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Thank you very much
Your welcome
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the intervention but i am afraid that I do not agree with my colleagueThe simple fact is that as your ex is a French National the children have dual nationality.As such she is entitled to wish her daughters to have French passports - just as you may wish them to have British ones.The French passport applictaion requires the signature of both parents.Accordingly the Court are very likely to Order that you sign the necessary paperwork to enable the applictaion to be madeClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.