Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am drafting my will and intend to appoint a single executor

I am drafting my will and intend to appoint a single executor who will also be the residual beneficiary of my estate after a number of financial bequests. Will my executor be able to arrange the sale of my house - which is fully owned by me - without there being any difficulties with the Land Registry. I have been told that they may require there to be more than one executor.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Although it is common to appoint 2 Executors, it is perfectly acceptable for Land Registry purposes for there to be only 1 Executor. As regards ***** ***** of your property, your 1 named Executor will just need to produce the Probate document to the Solicitor acting in the Sale, and he would then pass on a copy to the Buyers Solicitor, and there would be nothing further to be done.
On a side point, you may wish to appoint a substitutional Executor, who can act in the event of your already nominated Executor dying before you.
I hope this helps and sets out the legal position.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Al, Thanks for this. It puts my mind at rest and I now intend to proceed as planned. Although I had not mentioned it my draft will does include a substitute executor. John