75100385

Good afternoon. As a landlord with a Blackpool property, I

Customer Question

Good afternoon.
As a landlord with a Blackpool property, I have been threatened with prosecution if I do not register my property with the local council at a cost of £900.00. I then have to have the house inspected and brought up to the councils standard. As I have not heard of this from any other council or being passed through parliament, are the council in their rights to demand these improvements and charge for the licence? My property is a private 4 bedroomed Victorian terrace with a current tenant residing.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Selective licensing is a regulatory tool that allows local authorities to tackle areas suffering from significant anti-social behaviour or low housing demand by requiring all privately rented homes to be licensed. This means that the Council can introduce through Regulatory powers the requirement to issue and have a licence.
Sadly if you dont then you are liable for prosecution. Each Council can decide whether they require Landlords to be licenced as it is a matter for them. The Council can require improvements because the whole point of licencing is to make sure that houses are up to standard and to prevent anti social behaviour.
If you disagree with it you can consider a Judicial Review. This is where the decision of the Council goes before the High Court and a Judge examines the decision to see whether they are able to do this and whether the decision is reasonable. A Judge can agree with the decision or remit it back to the Council for further consideration.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already received a reply last week. please take me off the registration. I do not require any further servicethank you
David poulter
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Might I ask you to rate my answer then the communication will be closed?
The site only credits me for the time spent with you once you rate.
Thanks!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.