12826847

I've been charged theft of 1000 theft of 1700

Customer Question

Hi I've been charged for attempted theft of 1000 theft of 1700 and forgery of a cheque changing the value from 200 to 2000 can you give me some guidelines on what will happen I've never been arrested before and am looking to plead guilty to the forgery charge but not the other two? Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What are the circumstances please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I was helping out an elderly women and then she asked for me to start withdrawing some money for her which I did I also bought some things for her using her card with her permission I did alter a cheque to change the value and that's when she accused me of stealing and I was arrested
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Do you have any previous convictions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old are you?
Are you female?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 23 and I'm male
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
This isn't the best position to be in I'm afraid.
This isn't the highest sum of money but it is a huge breach of trust involving a vulnerable person and you don't have the advantage of being female and being able therefore to present as a victim. I suppose they are saying that this was persistent as well.
This is a theft of just over £2k and so the starting point is 18 weeks in custody but that does presume a much higher amount and it is a mitigating feature that there was no loss.
The reality is that it may well be sent to the Crown Court and the Judge may well consider custody but it is not likely to lead to custody because it is a first offence and it is a low amount. I would expect an unpaid work order though and it might be that there is a suspended sentence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify the second paragraph please about 18 weeks in custody? Also would it be better to plead guilty on all three or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am being accused of theft of 1700 from cash points as the women is now saying I didn't have consent so that is one of the charges
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That racks up the amount especially if there was actual loss but it doesn't change the sentencing range.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there was an actual loss of 1700 so do you think there's a strong possibly I could be sent to prison?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.
The Judge would have to justify not suspending it which he could not do here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your information
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.